What is a Leader Forum?
A Leader Forum is a collective of people with disabilities with common goals or experiences. The purpose of the Leader Forum is to offer members the opportunity to make contact with others who can offer support. Support can come in the form of conversation and sharing experiences, or by listening to others. In some cases, support groups may take an active part in lobbying for changes in laws or educating the public about social conditions. Leader Forums may form at local, regional and national level.
Why have a National Leader Forum (NLF)?
A National Leader Forum has been identified as vital to providing sustained Leader support independent of any one organisation or service provider.
The Functions of the NLF include :
- To promote the Independent Living philosophy and ensure that it underpins all PA services
- To lobby and campaign for Leaders' demands in relation to the PA service
- To improve communications between Leaders, and also between Leaders and PA’s and Leaders and service providers
- To promote the education and training of Leaders, both as managers of their service and participants in the NLF
- To develop standards, guidelines and monitoring procedures for PA services
- To ensure that the NLF is accountable to all Leaders and that Leaders have ownership of it
- To recognise the diversity that exists among Leaders
The National Leader Forum is currently in development. For further information or to register your interest in the National Leader Forum, please contact Naoise Cunningham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 The National Leader Forum
BE part of it ! email@example.com or 086 77 44 99 1